Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Sweet Dive!

Morgan (my Dive-Buddy) and I went diving yesterday at the Edmonds Underwater Park.  The visibility was 20-25 feet.  The dive was full of fish!  We were swimming in hundreds and thousands of schools of different kinds of fish.  At one point the school came at me at lightning pace as the light flashed off there sides, I looked to find what made them take off so fast and saw a bird flying underwater at about 35 feet.  The bird then headed for the surface, pretty cool!  We also saw some huge mammoth looking lingcod, 6 plus feet with gigantic heads, some had pretty fat bellies, most likely pregnant.  We did get challenged by a few lingcods that would do a dance to try to scare us from their nest another few would start coming at us, hoping to scare us away.  We saw some cool grunt sculpins, nudibranchs, shrimp, many thick layers of colorful types of seaweed.  We took a nice route underwater, we came across a lot of sunken boats we hadn't seen before, one in particular was wood, it looked like a pirate ship and it was surrounded by schools of rock fish, with a handful of rockfish larger than I have ever seen.  The sun was actually out so everything was well lit.  We entered a few large cement boxes like caves.  There was one I swam into to wait for Morgan, I was going to jump out and scare him, when he didn't arrive after a minute i figured I would go look for him, as I swam out he came from above me arms wide and scared me half to death.  Talk about your major backfires!!  There is nothing like laughing hard underwater.  We were swimming at noon at high tide the water temp was in the high 40's, are deepest depth was 43 feet and we navigated are way back to the bay.  Nothing like popping your head above the surface and being in the right spot.  We were underwater for exactly a hour.  Morgan was on his second dive with a drysuit which sent him scrambling to get out so he could use the restroom, but at least he was dry.  I went scrambling for the car to get my hot water to pour down my suit, my feet and hands were pretty cold.  We went to the near by pub which has a fireplace to have a burger and beer and chat about the dive. BEAUTIFUL!!

No comments: