Sunday, March 1, 2009

Oh Week 9!!

Wow week 9 was packed with events. Started out with a test. (93%) and then we learned about crime scene investigation. Which is a really exciting topic. We talked about evidence and fingerprinting, tracking and a whole lot of other cool stuff! Wednesday we had a mock crime scene in the wooded park next to the college. I was lucky enough to be one of the first on scene. There was evidence everywhere including weapons and a right leg from the knee down. We had a cadaver dog there to help find evidence (which he ended up tracking blood everywhere). I was able to work with the dog owner and dog. (Really cool stuff) I also got to make my own trail through the woods to give back-up to a fellow ranger who was trying to detain a man in camouflage. Exciting and fun and later on I realized how many sticker bushes were actually out there. It was good experience trying to put the evidence together to figure out what happened. I really look forward to the first time I get to work on a crime scene! Thursday and Friday we had testing for our defensive tactics fighting and firearms. There our 4 different firearms we needed to pass (shotgun, hand gun national (day and night) and state. I only had the day course left to pass and I passed it on my second try on Thursday (huge relief) I hit 24 out of 30 shots and needed 21 to pass. In Defensive Tactics we had 22 moves/takedowns/punches etc to pass. We partnered up and we were called out of a waiting room to go in and test. I was able to also pass all my moves Thursday. This made Thursday night really nice! Friday some people continued to test and we also learned extra cool stuff to work on both in firearms and in DT. Saturday was EMT training during the day.

Then I WENT HOME (first time in 5 weeks) it was great I was full of energy the whole night in excitement. Janelle and I went to my parents for a big family dinner and game night. Sunday came early as I had to be at the Monroe Fire Department by 8 am to try and get 5 ride-along patient contacts on the ambulance. Well I am still here and it is 8:30pm and I have only got 1 contact. So I did not get to see Janelle very much this weekend and I have to comeback again and hope for a more full day at the fire department. My first ride-along was nervous and exciting, it is good to have the first one out of the way. I am getting ready to take off and head back to Mount Vernon. Sorry for the poor typing but I am trying to finish this in a hurry.

Next week I should have at least one good story for tomorrow. I get sprayed in the eyes with pepper spray. You have to wait till the weekend to hear more about it!

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: