Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A night at Canlis!

Janelle and I went in for a final dinner at Canlis as an employee.  Walt Wagner the pianist and a friend was playing that night (He played at our wedding, for all you who were there).  Pepe made us some great drinks, Janelle started with her favorite, a sidecar and I had the maple old fashion.  My next drink was a creation of Pepe's, with brandy, lime and some other ingredients, it was great!  We ordered the steak tar tar as a starter app.  Nothing like raw beef, great cocktails and beautiful piano music, what a start!  After that Brian Canlis moved us to a corner table by the window (table 35).  I have served the table many times but I had never realized what a beautiful table and view it was, don't get me wrong all the tables have a amazing view (which never gets old to see).  We requested Wanda to be our server.  She had trained me as a server and in my eyes, she is the best!  She has been a server at Canlis for around 20 years.  She is also a good friend!  I ordered a beet salad for Janelle and I had the crab salad. Beet: gold and red beets, creamy goat cheese, Hawaiian heart of palm, watercress, citrus vinaigrette and chive oil. Crab: dungeoness crab, avocado vinaigrette, papaya, parmesan crisp and french green beans. mmmm good!  We then had a mid-course meal, (set up by Chef Jeff Taton, who has been there 27 years another good friend) it was the day-boat scallops pan seared golden brown, with a cauliflower puree and a lime, crouton and caper vinaigrette, AMAZING!  We took our time and enjoyed the whole scene.  For our main course Janelle had the muscovy duck, with scalloped potato, persimmon puree and a veal demi-glaze.  Somehow it also had a half of the Australian lobster tail, WOW.  I ordered the Australian Lamb Chops, with Isreali Cous-Cous, Oregon blue cheese, Swiss Chard and a Lamb and Pancetta Au Jus. Again it showed up with a half lobster tail, half a American Wagyu tenderloin and Foie Gras, Oh my Gosh I was in heaven!!! I forgot to mention the side of truffle fries and forest mushrooms (Thanks Josh) Phillip, the Somm, set us us with a perfect match in the new Peter Canlis Syrah from Buty, 06!  After dinner we moved back into the lounge to enjoy Walt as we ordered dessert.  Of Course we ordered the  "What I like to call: The Canlis Doughnuts!!  Beer and rum battered doughnuts filled with hot apples and bourbon buttermilk sauce to dip them into, accompanied by pumpkin ice cream!!! Somehow a Milk Chocolate Espresso Mousse with choc. Almond Cake Caramel espresso and Mascarpone arrived as well.(Thank you Ryan and Chef Neil)  Heaven again!!  Janelle ordered the Clover Coffee, specifically the Sulawessi (thanks Jackson), which is so flavorful.  (Everyone watch out for the clover machine to come into your town, it makes amazing coffee).  I went to the scotch list :) Brian Canlis came over to take my order and check in on us and set me up with a, I want to say 23 year old Port Ellen Scotch, that isn't made anymore.  It was amazing!! Janelle even liked it, and she doesn't like Scotch.  Janelle and I had the most wonderful experience, we felt so special!  Thank you Chef Jeff (Cheffrey), Wanda, Pepe, Ryan, Phillip, Jackson, Chef Neil, Josh, Walt and Brian Canlis for making my last employee night an unforgettable one!!  (Thank you to the whole kitchen team and front of the house as well, I know everyone plays a role!) WOW!

No comments: