Wednesday, October 21, 2009

FISH ON!! 10/05/2009

Well I have a lot of time to make up on the blog, but since I am not in the mood to think back too far into my summer yet, I will start with the last week.

Last week was my salmon week. I landed my first ever river salmon on the Queets river. I had a day off and decided to make a whole day out of the adventure. I walked down from the Salmon Bridge to the mouth where it dumped into the Queets. A week earlier my dad had a HUGE fish on which decided to wrap itself around a branch underwater and escape.

I got to the river and it was a gorgeous cloudy day, perfect for fishing. I brought myself a six pack, some homemade jerky and spicy cheese-its, a meal any fishermen could enjoy. The fish were rolling and I was excited for my chances. I tried everything, finally throwing on the wiggle wart, 3 hours later all I had was about 3 beers and a lot of jerky and cheese-its. I went for the impossible cast over a branch knowing the wiggle wart floats until you reel I felt it was a good chance to get it into a deep hole. Well… I over threw it and it went across the river and stuck into a tree. I couldn’t believe it, those things cost 6 bucks! I decided I needed a break from fishing. I had noticed some broken lines in various spots on the other side of the river, so I decided I would get my wiggle wart back and improve my tackle box. It was hard to cross the river but I made it without getting wet. The far side bank was covered with downed roots and trees from winter storms. It was hard maneuvering and climbing and at times, I put total faith into my balance a few times I probably shouldn’t have but it worked out. In the end I retrieved my wiggle wart and also gained 7 more lures/spoons. I was pretty happy about my find! I got back to my side of the bank and I knew I was going to catch a fish. It didn’t happen. I had been on the river for 6 hours and no fish, I was ready to head back to my truck I wanted to pick chanterelles before it got dark. On my way up the river I spotted another lure stuck across the stream, I decided to go for it, I took my rod with me and after securing the lure I tried one more cast while I was standing in rushing knee high water. I through the cast….I got ticked I got snagged….oh……but……wait! My snag jumped out of the water a waved its tail at me. FISH ON!! Now all I needed to do was get back to shore, I still don’t know how I managed not to fall but I got to shore and landed my first Silver caught on a river. I then raised my hands in the air to accept the applause, I turned south and north, east and west, yelling "thank you, thank you" Of course no one else was out there but it felt good! Half of it fed four Rangers that night, I served it with some pan seared chanterelles in a garlic butter sauce mmmmm, I ate the other half the next day for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Few day later Ernie, Christina and I went to the Hoh and fished by the mouth. I caught 4 fish that day and Ernie caught one MONSTER fish. I think I would of traded Ernie my four catches to get to reel in that large Silver. I sent one fish to Ernie’s dad to get smoked, 3 fillets to Janelle and I have been eating the other fillets daily. I also caught one last salmon yesterday. So I have made a chanterelle broth salmon soup, I have been playing with different sauces to top the fillets and I have also taken slices and soaked them in a light salt water solution with cayenne and a drip of liquid smoke, today I dehydrated them and they turned out to be a tasty salmon jerky. I have kept the eggs for future fishing trips but the next hen I catch I will use the eggs to make caviar

Chanterelles and salmon have been about 70% of my diet lately and it still isn’t getting old!

No comments: